Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP)

Don’t forget! All rental property owners, managers or operators must provide a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) to each person who rented from them during the previous year unless the property is tax-exempt.

You must give each renter a CRP by Jan. 31, 2022 if:

  • property tax was payable in 2021 on the property, or
  • you were not required to pay property tax but you made "payments in lieu of property taxes"

Renters need the CRP to apply for the state Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund (“renter’s refund”).

If you have a lot of renters, you may prefer to use a software product to generate CRPs or to produce your own.

For more information:

PLEASE NOTE: Under the landlord instructions, emergency assistance is NOT considered rent and therefore COVID-19 emergency rental assistance funds should not be included in the total rent amount.

(Optional) You may also include MHA’s flyer with your CRPs.